Sunday, September 21, 2008

A Little Bragging on the Kids


So my kids have talents that I don't possess which I am happy for. My girls are getting to be pretty good artist and athletes, two things I have never been good at. Friday Courtney came home and told us the principal came into her class and announced she had taken 2nd place in the Gilbert District for an art/essay contest on George Washington. The funny thing about her winning was the prep time she put into this project. The morning it was due, literally 5 minutes before 7:00am when we leave for school (yuck - too early!) Courtney informs me she wanted to submit a piece of art for this contest and it was due that day. So we printed a copy of George Washington so she knew what he looked like and we left for school. She drew it in the car and finished at school and turned it in. I never even saw it, so I was surprised to hear she won anything. Saturday they had a big Constitution Fair at one of the Gilbert schools where they honored all the winners. Courtney was the only one from her school to win anything so we were proud of her. The first place winners in the high school division won two airline tickets so thats what we're shooting for next year (no pressure Courtney).
Ashley on Thursday's soccer game played keeper (goalie) for the first time ever. She only played one quarter as keeper but nobody was able to score so we were proud to see her do so well.
Then there's Kaleb, what can we say about him except he is such the ladies man. He has so many girls we can't keep up. I have girls coming up to me all the time saying that Kaleb is their boyfriend, I'm not exaggerating. All ages too, from 3 to 16. The girls in Young Women all know him and have to give him a hug when they see him. Kaleb even hugs all the moms. It gets us in trouble too, David had a dad come up to him today and tell us the Kaleb kissed his girl at school. We've had a talk to Kaleb, actually lots of talks about kissing people, but I swear it doesn't sink in. I think through the years we're going to get more frustrated dads.
Kaleb's a thinker too, the last couple of days he has wanted to walk across the street by himself to see if he has friends over at our neighbors house (her grandkids) anyway, I keep telling him no he can't go by himself. Well today he walked up to me and said, "I just prayed to Heavenly Father that you would let me go across the street by myself, so now you have to say yes." So needless to say Kaleb learned a lesson in praying for things that are right and not just for things he wants. It's a good thing he's cute.

2 comments:

Shumway Family said...

Don't your kids constantly amaze you!! Mine do all the time. I never know where it come from either. The one that amazes me the most is that they can do math without writing it down. I hate math and am absolutely no help to my kids after about 4th or 5 grade. Where do all these talents come from? Your kids are amazing!!!

Kym Hull said...

Wow Nice Job Courtney. Congratulations.