So do you ever stop and think, am I on the right path, is this the direction I'm suppose to be taking? I've had that thought a lot lately, especially after starting school and majoring in a subject that is technically over my head. I'm not one of these people that can get a resounding "yes" from the spirit, I do get a resounding "no" sometimes, so I'm not complaining. Yet many times I feel like I have to take a step into the darkness before I see the light at the end of the tunnel. So Saturday, I was telling a classmate of mine(yes I have a class on a Saturday :-( ) that years ago I started out as a music major and now have changed to a construction major, what a difference. Anyway, I was again wondering if this was the right move for me. Well, Sunday came and the speaker got up to talk on missionary work and whoosh, I knew I was on the right path. Okay so maybe some of you wouldn't use the word "whoosh" but that's what it felt like to me and I was happy because of it. Who knew a talk on missionary work would do that, actually it was two sentences that brought on this feeling, then he moved on with his talk and I sat there happily thinking, wow, sometimes our answers come in unexpected places, I know church of all places, surprised me a little too :-) !
Well one dilemma down but the other big factor for me is, I don't think I'm smart enough to figure some of this stuff out. I have never been great with math and three of my five classes have a lot of math in it. One class, that's all we do is one formula after another, I swear I come out of that class with my brain hurting. So back to Sunday, Relief Society came along and I found some great help from the lesson, here are my favorite quotes:
"Intelligence is eternal and exists upon a self-existent principle. It is a spirit from age to age and there is no creation about it. All the minds and spirits that God ever sent into the world are susceptible of enlargement.
“We consider that God has created man with a mind capable of instruction, and a faculty which may be enlarged in proportion to the heed and diligence given to the light communicated from heaven to the intellect,..."
This gives me hope and a better attitude, plus it helps me as a mother tell my kids, yes I know it's hard but your mind is capable of learning it, if mom can figure it out, so can you! So I went to class Wednesday night, where I have two of my harder classes right in a row, my brain still hurt, but I wasn't discouraged (unlike last week), so I persevere and maybe I'll learn something this semester after all!
Thursday, September 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Don't you love confirmations! They make it so much easier to keep stepping out into the dark. You'll do great in class. If nothing else, I think life experience gives you a drive that most other students don't have. Keep showing up, do your studying/homework, ask questions when you need to, and PRAY. Heavenly Father will do the rest. Good luck!!
I think it's awesome that you're going back to school. I've been doing it for several years now. It's taking me FOREVER because I can only take one class a term while still working full time. I know it's intimidating at first, especially being in class with 18 year olds! I'm sitting in class thinking, I am old enough to be these kids' mom. Literally, because my "kid" is 18!!! Anyway, you can do it, just hang in there. One thing I've learned is not to expect perfection from yourself, just do your best but don't kill yourself over it. When I first started, I HAD to get A's. Now I'm totally happy with a B- or C! And if someone as math impaired as me can pass college algebra, you've got nothing to worry about! Oh, and doing homework with your kids is a great example to them. Mine are so understanding, with their thoughtful comments like "geez mom haven't you been going to school forever…" and "don't you feel weird being in school when you're so old..." um, yeah, so it's a good example of how NOT to do college. See, kids, get your education out of the way while you're still young! Anyway, good luck, you can do it!
Thanks for being my "Whoosh!" today. I really like the tidbits you got from Relief Society. It's nice to know that I have the capacity, if not the confidence.
My biggest school challenge was last semester; a class in statistics. Whoever thought all of this stuff up must have been smokin' something! If the amount of information to be gleaned in that class was 8 oz, I probably understood 1 oz of it, and 4 months later, it's all gone! But... the good news is I got my "A". I've found that merely jumping through the hoops is 99% of the grade. Keep jumping! You'll be done before you know it!
Post a Comment