
In my mom's guest room, formerly Holli's temporary bedroom, Holli had hung a poster up saying "I can do hard things". So for a year I kept thinking, someone should take that down, Holli doesn't live here anymore. Fast forward now to last night. I had a bad night at school. Received my test back in one class (it wasn't pretty) then found out my surveying teacher was moving and we now have a new teacher. I was stressed at the beginning of this class, but soon realized my teacher had a good attitude about it being a 101 class and keeping to the practical side of surveying, which I figured would be my saving grace. Earlier in the day I had registered for next semester, plus decided to take two classes during the winter break (stay with me, this is leading somewhere). Needless to say (of course I have to say it), I was very discouraged last night. Math has never been a forte of mine, and I have a lot more math like classes to go. As I was driving home, that darn poster kept popping up in my head, "You can do hard things" I yelled back, "No! I can't!' Then the whole internal debate starts, what am I doing, is this the right thing, maybe I should go back and do music, something back in my comfortable bubble. Things that make sense to me. Why do I need to know what the max. rimpull of a tractor in 1st gear on a 3% slope is (one of the questions from yesterday), that's not what I thought I was majoring in.
Anyway, I called Kellie, yeah for sisters, she told me "yes, you can do hard things, yes, it's going to be tough, no, I can't quit, I will be thankful someday I stuck with it, but yes, I might have to study more and work harder" What, when did I agree to do that? j/k
Then it dawned on me, I'm not in my element and these are new concepts to me, maybe I will have to stretch my brain after all. I thought I could do like I did in the past, study a little and get good grades, for once in my life I will have to learn to really study (easy concept, I know) it's just in the past the subjects came easier to me. So watch out statics and calculus here I come, but in the meantime, thanks for sisters, moms, brothers (and in-laws), friends and cheerleaders, who remind me, I can do hard things!



4 comments:
Wow, you are so amazing!! I can't even imagine doing math. I have problems helping Alex with 5th grade!!
Yes you can! I have faith in you! You are awesome. You are inspiring me to do new things. We love you! Keep up the good work!!
no, what I really said was, "i'ts time to get off your lazy butt and put a little effort into it and quit whining sooo much. J/K :)
"Rah Rah Rah! Go Kathleen! Rah Rah Rah!"
(That's Katy cheerleading for you!)
Post a Comment